Written by Marcus Youssef
Directed by Mike Payette
Produced By Geordie Theatre
On Demand April 25 – May 14
On Sale Now!
Recommended for Ages 13 & up | Grades 8 – 12
Run Time: Approx. 60 minutes (incl. pre-recorded post-show Q&A)
“I get this feeling sometimes. Like there’s two parts of me but I’m not one or the other, I’m caught, in-between.”
– Lily, The In-Between
When Lily’s new crush Karim and her best friend Britt collide over racist, anti-Muslim memes, a misunderstanding escalates to a school lockdown. Caught in the middle, Lily finds herself having to navigate splintered friendships and tangled truths. With humour and sensitivity, acclaimed playwright Marcus Youssef weaves the real-life challenges of an increasingly complex world with the story of three teens – all living their own “in-between”.
Note: Please click here for the content advisory.
“In today’s polarizing world, young people are inundated with negative and hateful messages at every turn,” says YPT Artistic Director Herbie Barnes. “This play reminds them that they are not alone in their struggle.”
“An important dramatic piece that ALL young people 13 years and up MUST see.” – Our Theatre Voice
“Timely, important and necessary.” – The Slotkin Letter
Dramaturgy: Emma Tibaldo, Playwrights’ Workshop Montreal
A recording of The In-Between is available online from April 25 – May 14.
Once you have selected your performance date, you will have access to the recording for 48 hours.
Tickets are $10 per household. If you’d like to support YPT, you can also choose what you’d like to pay.
New this season, teachers can now book online! Simply select your preferred viewing period for The In-Between from April 25 – May 14.
Prices & Packaging
Up to 4 Classrooms: $50/each
Mini-Pack of up to 7 Classrooms: $200
Unlimited Classroom Pack only: $350
Online Pre- and Post-Show Workshops
One workshop (pre- or post-show): $200
Two workshops (pre- and post-show): $375
Each workshop can accommodate one class (max. 30 students)
For more details on how to book your class/school online, please click here.
- All performances include a pre-recorded post-show discussion with playwright Marcus Youssef and YPT Senior Education Manager Ryan Singh (approx. 10-15 minutes).
- Content Advisory
- Study Guide by Geordie Theatre
- Curriculum Connections, Themes and Ancestral Teachings listed below
Pictured: Skyler Clark, Qianna MacGilchrist & Sepehr Reybod in The In-Between by Geordie Theatre.
Set & Costume Design by Diana Uribe; Lighting Design by Timothy Rodrigues.
- Media Studies: Media and Society
- Social Studies: Heritage and Identity
- Canadian and World Studies including: Geography – Changing Populations – Immigration and Cultural Diversity
- Social Sciences and Humanities including:
- Anthropology – Explaining Human Behaviour and Culture; Socialization
- Psychology – Human Mental Process and Behaviour; Socialization
- Sociology – Explaining Social Behaviour; Socialization
- Navigating changing friendships
- Challenging prejudice & misinformation
- Negotiating your own identity
- Managing peer and parental influence
- School and Groups